The machan and RTSOI
The Machan is pleased to announce that it is now a member of the Responsible Tourism Society of India (RTSOI). This membership will aid in minimizing any negative social, economic, and environmental impact that tourism may have on the ecosystems of the Western Ghats and preserve its communities.
Who is RTSOI ?
The Responsible Tourism Society of India (RTSOI) is a non-profit organization, established with the aim to promote and ensure environmentally responsible and sustainable practices in the tourism industry. The founding body of RTSOI comprises 13 widely experienced professionals from relevant fields. They are:
- Mr. Rakesh Mathur- Former CEO, Bass (IHG) Hotels, South and West Asia; Former President, ITC Welcomheritage Hotels
- Mr. Steve Borgia- MD, Indeco Hotels, Chennai
- Mr. Mandip Singh Soin, FRGS- Founder & Managing Director, Ibex Expeditions Pvt. Ltd.
- Mr. Jose Dominic- MD, CGH Earth Hotels
- Mr. P.D. Rai- Former Member of Parliament, Lok Sabha
- Dr. Venu V, IAS- Revenue Secretary, Government of Kerala
- Mr. Ravi Singh- CEO, WWF India
- Mr. Toby Sinclair- Wildlife Film Maker; Director Indian Safaris
- Mr. Avay Shukla- Additional Chief Secretary (Retired); Government of Himachal Pradesh
- Mr. Krishna Kumar Singh- Former MLA and Environmentalist
- Mr. Sudhir Sahi- Consultant, UNDP
- Mr. Niranjan Kharti- Founder, iSambhav; Former GM Environment, ITC Welcome Group Hotels
- Mr. Mr. Sarath C.R.- Chief Naturalist, Taj Safaris; Associate Director Evolve Back Resorts
“While we talk about the benefits of tourism, it is also important to acknowledge and take actions against the substantial negative impacts this industry has on a destination’s environment, culture, and locals. The Machan promotes eco-friendly tourism practices and is one of the few resorts that implement plans to be as sustainable as possible and minimize any damage to the Western Ghats,” Machan’s spokesperson.
The Machan’s strategies for sustainability
- Use of only LED lighting throughout the property
- Provide pure mountain water for consumptions in glass bottles from the property’s 300 foot deep bore well
- Recycle 80% of all greywater and use it to water plants on the property
- To reduce dependency on fossil fuels, the Machan uses parabolic solar cookers to cook a portion of meals
- All energy is generated off-grid from renewable resources
The Machan shares RTSOI’s vision of sustainable tourism and the synergy between the two organizations aims at benefitting the Western Ghats by making positive contributions to the conservation of the biodiversity of the area and generating economic benefits for the local communities.
The joined resources and efforts of RTSOI and the Machan will result in:
- Formulating and implementing plans for long-term sustainability efforts
- Working with relevant bodies of power to establish sustainable tourism practices which will not only include conservation of nature and wildlife but also allow local communities to benefit from tourism
- Better support for eco-based research
- Promotion of efficient energy saving practices like water harvesting, use of solar and other natural energy sources, and reducing overall carbon footprint
- Organize training and other activities for guests, staff and locals to create awareness on ecotourism and sustainable tourism
Additionally, RTSOI will help The Machan network with sustainability experts and offer solutions to problems relating to sustainability, and inspire other resorts in Lonavala . As a member, the Machan will have a medium to share its best practices with other member organizations and promote its vision.